Maintenance and care.
Dogs require some care, it should be understood that this breed of dog will not be able to live on the street, as they are quite demanding on the temperature regime.
As for leaving, here the requirements are almost the same as for other spaniels, with a few exceptions:
– it is necessary to comb the dog every day, while after each walk remove the seeds of grass, as they can lead to tangles, which will have to be cut with scissors. Remember that hair care is an obligatory ritual of the owner.
– bathing dogs should be carried out as necessary, since they love swimming very much, and they consider any puddle to be a pond, so you have to bathe, not only every day, but often enough. Use, for him, only hypoallergenic shampoos.
– the eyes also require attention, they are a rather weak spot, so wipe them, and if copious discharge appears, consult a doctor.
– ears are a separate topic, because when bathing, water gets into them every now and then, which leads to inflammatory processes. This can be avoided by regular airing. This is done by fixing the ears with a rubber band, or as I did with a clothespin on the dog’s head, you don’t have to walk like that for long, just a few minutes after bathing.
– so that there are no problems with the seeds of plants, cut six on the legs and between the fingers — less hair — do not cling to these seeds.
– regular dental care is necessary, this can be done with a toothbrush, my dog did not like this, or clean tartar at least 2 times a year.
Feeding an American Cocker Spaniel.
There are no problems feeding these dogs. As for balanced feeding, you need to read articles about feeding dogs, if you have questions, ask them in the forum or in the comments, I will answer you.
After reading the basic rules for feeding dogs, I’m sure there should not be many questions. Keep in mind that these dogs have a great appetite, and it is very important not to overfeed your pet, as this can lead to severe health problems, and the problem of excess weight will be most insignificant.
If you don’t want to balance the optimal diet, and decide to feed the dog with ready-made full-feed feeds, then the choice of feed manufacturer is of course yours, but if you are interested in the opinion of most visitors to my site, check out the rating of dog food manufacturers.
General rules on how to feed dogs is not worth it:
– any fatty food, as dogs are very susceptible to diseases of the liver and pancreas
– bones, since this is generally stupid, they do not carry any nutritional value, but there can be a lot of problems.
– fresh bread, also due to the pancreas
– a two-month-old puppy needs to be fed 5-6 times a day, reducing the frequency of feeding up to 3-4 times by six months and up to 2-3 times by 9-10 months. There is no consensus on 2- or 3-fold feeding; I am inclined to 3-fold feeding in small portions.
These dogs can be fed from their own table, however, as you can see, not all products are suitable for these spaniels, so if you have problems with a balanced diet, try to turn to ready-made full-feed feeds, which manufacturer to choose, of course, is up to you, but I offer you a rating dog food manufacturers.
Of course, you cannot describe all the diseases here, but here are the most common diseases concerning the English Cocker Spaniel:
– eye diseases, but here I wrote that the eyes are a weak point of the breed
– renal and hepatic insufficiency – partly inherited, partly affected by poor feeding, sometimes very difficult hunting conditions, this is when the hunt takes several days, and the dog is in open snow or a strong wind, while she managed to get pretty wet while working.
– congenital deafness – genetic disease
– hip dysplasia – a serious illness, but there are therapeutic agents that in some cases can help
– cardiomyopathy – lack of regular walks, overfeeding, genetic predisposition.
Price for puppies
As for puppies in the markets, there you can buy a puppy in the range of 50-120 US dollars, in young clubs and private breeders the price will increase to 120-200 US dollars
As for the really pedigree kennels, then the puppies are the most expensive, so the price for a 2-3 month old puppy is in the range of 250-400 dollars, sometimes when it comes to elite lines, the price can reach 1500-2000 US dollars.